Why beetroots? They contain nitrates which can lower blood pressure as well as improve blood flow to the brain. They also contain betaine which may assist in raising low stomach acid (which is very common in many of our patients)
Why Chickpeas? They contain the magic combo of fibre + protein which research suggests provides the longest satiety (or feelings of fullness). And lets not forget … fibre is how we feed our gut bacteria and help it to thrive!
Both chickpeas and beetroot are good sources of folate which is essential for fertility and healthy babies.
- 3 Large Beetroot, roasted and peeled (find help here https://cookthestory.com/how-to-roast-beets/ on how to roast if you need)
- 400G can organic Chickpeas
- 1 tbsp tahini
- 1 clove garlic crushed or finely chopped
- 1/4c Lemon juice
- ½ tsp ground Cumin
- himalayan salt and black pepper to serve
- Place all ingredients into a food processor and process until smooth.
- Place in a serving bowl and season further if needed.
– As an accompaniment to your standard meat and veg dinner
– Try adding a big dollop onto Tory’s fave Spinach & Zucchini Loaf from Steph Wearne Body Good Food and top with a poached egg
– As a dip with celery, capsicum and carrot sticks
– Roast up extra beets and keep, peeled in the fridge to add to salads throughout the week.
Picture credit: @aggie_k91